My Favorite Time...

...for research is when I'm stuck. Doesn't sound very smart, does it? What I mean is, I don't necessarily research the place I'm writing about, the profession, the weather, etc. before I start writing. The beginnings of stories, for me, are kind of like epiphanies. Some of my writer friends talk about 'seeing' a fully-drawn scene and writing it down. I'm like that, kind of. I see a character, maybe two, hear a bit of dialogue and I'm off. The more the character 'talks' the more I see - foliage, buildings, beaches. It kind of draws itself in my imagination. All because the character is talking to me.

So I let that character talk and talk and talk. Until they can't talk any more. Sometimes they stop talking because I've written them into a corner or because I need to know something they aren't telling me. In either case, from that point, the research starts. I look up websites with pictures of the place I'm writing about, research the professions of my main characters, what homes in that area are built like/from, what the decor is..you name it, I look it up. Google is my friend, although I try to look at at least three sites before making a decision on anything. I also ask my friends and CPs (Facebook and Twitter are my friends when questions come calling), but I also try to look through professional sites - journalism, investment banking...and, on sites like the one for pro surfers or rock stars, the eye candy isn't bad, either.

From that research I may - or may not - find pictures of my main characters, people who remind me of them or look like them in some way. I make a collage of the 'best' pictures I find that evoke the feeling of that book on Pinterest and I make a collage pic that I print off and put on my writing board. While I'm making the collages, I'll also make my WIP playlist. Sometimes this is fast - less than an afternoon. Sometimes it takes days and I write a little and research a little. It's a clunky process but it works for me.

How about you? What's your research process? 

Comments

  1. I may not research the same way, but I definitely do at the same time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe - great minds, Liz, great minds!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:08 AM

    My writing process is much like yours, Kristina. I research when I need it ;) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My scenes (and the story) come to life as I write too. But I find pictures to represent the hero and heroine before I start writing. It helps me focus on their characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan, Jill. I actually am trying the pictures-before thing now. Or maybe I'm just addicted to Pinterest. But my new book board is...filling up. :D

      Delete
  4. Yep, I research as needed for the most part. And when I'm writing the first draft, I'll put in notes to myself to find something--what does his room look like?--so I can keep writing and not get hung up on something I'm not sure about yet.

    Although for my current WIP--I have read some chapters from some books about the All American Girls Baseball League and bought a set (5) AAGBL baseball cards from ebay. And when I'm writing those scenes, I do reference them a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have little areas like that in my rough drafts...I try to clean up most as I go along, if I'm doing an editing day. Thanks for visiting, Margie.

      Delete
  5. We work pretty much the same way. I never did do the picture thing until the Black Mountain series, and then it was so much fun. I haven't done it again though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures definitely work to get me into a scene or character or place. I've had a ball creating my pinboard for the new WIP.

      Delete
  6. Kristina, I wrote about this same topic on my blog today Sia4215.blogspot.com. I think it is a clunky process because it has to be, if not our characters would be flat. It's all the knit-picking that let's us get to know them as "people." Good post. It's fun to read how other's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sia, thanks for visiting. That knit-picking is definitely important. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts