#3onThursday: All About Bad Boys

I'm back with another 3 on Thursday and this time its a bad boy edition - primarily because I've been reading a LOT of bad boys lately. I'm not talking about the guys who treat women badly, who don't call, who dump their baggage on other people and never take responsibility for their lives. I'm talking about the bad boys who are also good men.

Bad boys are one of my favorite hero types to read (and write) here's why:

First, the wicked. Bad boys know just how to look at a women to make the heart race and the muscles clench. Y'all know what I mean. I'm not sure if its the twinkle that is always in the eye of a bad boy or the way he carries himself, but they just can't hide the wicked.

Second, they know what they want and go after it. Isn't that what we all want - to set out sights on a goal and go after it 100%? Bad boys do that - whether it's starting a business or surfing a rogue wave or riding the baddest bull on the PBR circuit...and if their sights are set on a woman. sigh Even better. One of my favorite parts of a book to write is the moment the hero (bad boy or other type) decides what he wants is the girl...it's just so exciting!

Third, bad boys don't (seem) care what anyone thinks. We're all guilty of caring a little too much, from time to time, about what someone else thinks of our actions and choices. It come with the territory of being human, I think. Bad boys don't seem to have that guilt, though, and as I mentioned before that singlemindedness when they are in the middle of a quest is quite sexy. I do think bad boys care, at least a smidge, what people think of them...but bad boys realize that what they want is more important than what anyone else thinks about what they want. And I think we could all use a little more of that, don't you?

Okay, your turn: what is it that you like about bad boys in romantic fiction - or in reality! Share in the comments!

Comments

  1. I liked them better in reality than in fiction. And I don't DISlike them in fiction. It just seems to me that, like "spunky heroines," they've been done too much. Must be the age thing again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe you just need a good beta, Liz...lemme find one for you...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts