#3onThursday - Can't Be Without Authors

I posted on WordWranglers earlier this week about a few of the books that I adored growing up. Which got me thinking about the books (and authors) I adore now. Which made me ask myself this question: If I were stranded on a desert island and had the books of only three authors, which three would they be?

I wondered if, perhaps, I could Stephen-King-inize myself and bring along the authors so they'd have to keep writing new books for me to read, a'la Misery....but that's kind of cheating. Plus, I don't want my favorite authors to think I'm stalkery or anything. I probably just killed that by mentioning Misery...

Anywho, without further ado...this 3 on Thursday celebrates three of my favorite authors. Here we go:

3. Laura Ingalls Wilder: I know, I know. She was a middle grade writer. I don't care. I love the Little House books...all of them. Plus there are 9 and that would take me a little while to get through. And then there is Laura's diary, which would have to be included. And maybe a biography, too, to keep me entertained. Plus, you know, if I'm stranded on a desert island, I could read between the lines and figure out how Pa would build a shelter...and then I could build my own.

2. Jayne Ann Krentz: Just the Jayne Ann books. I know, I know, she has several pseudonyms, and I love them all, but the Jayne books are my absolute favorites. She has a way with characterization that blows me away. These are books that I can sink into and get really lost...and after a few days of being stranded on that desert island, I'm going to need some civilization to escape into.

1. Anne Rivers Siddons: Anne writes with amazing emotion; she has this ability to draw me into a story so much that, even after I've finished the book, the characters are still alive for me. Sometimes a year or two later I'll wonder 'what is ___ doing now?' and I always hope that maybe she'll release a sequel to my absolute favorites...even a short story.

I have a lot more favorite authors. Y'all know my addiction to Nora Roberts and my love for Louis L'Amour...and then there are my writer friends Liz Flaherty, Christine Warner, Sharon Cullen, Nicole Flockton, Holley Trent, Melinda Dozier, Elley Arden, Margie Senechal, Nan Reinhardt - and the list goes on! - who floor me with their ability to tell a story, draw a character and make a book come to life. If I had to be stranded on a desert island I'd wish for all the books, from everywhere...What about you? Which authors or books would you take with you?

Comments

Popular Posts